I’m a game and narrative designer who also focuses on technical design (scripting or programming). I have AAA experience ranging from dedicated scriptwriting to game systems design and programming in a range of major engines, including games in the Halo, Driver and Call of Duty franchises. I have 8 years’ experience in the games industry.
I work as a Designer for Certain Affinity in Austin, Texas. I also undertake freelance work in a range of creative and technical fields in my spare time.
Who I Was
I first learnt to program on DarkBlade (90s web design disclaimer: website built in 2002!), a MUCK/MUD text game I created, coded and ran in my teens. This hooked me on programming, world creation, and by extension, game development. I learnt scripting languages based on LISP and Forth, and over the course of several years I wrote 18,000 lines of code across 370 programs in the game, gaining 2300 players who used the game’s chat command over 800,000 times.
At 18, I taught myself web development with PHP + MySQL, and at 20 I founded a small web development company, Ice Cool Code, where I showcased my portfolio, eventually developing a Content Management System for the Member of Parliament for Cambridge, which remained active 2005 to 2010. I taught myself C++ using the excellent C++ How To Program by Deitel & Deitel. I studied English literature at Cambridge, but spent my spare time coding and preparing to enter the games industry.
What I Became
After university I worked for:
- Free Radical Design, as Game Designer for Cutscenes on Star Wars: Battlefront III
- Ubisoft, as Narrative Designer on Driver: San Francisco
- Chillingo, writing marketing copy for their mobile catalog, including games like Angry Birds and Predators
- Zindagi Games and Sony, as cutscenes Scriptwriter for Medieval Moves: Deadmund’s Quest
- Rotor Games, as freelance writer for their iOS debut, Final Run
- AppNormals, providing freelance videogame design consultancy on Super Barista
- Certain Affinity, where I have worked full-time since 2012 in a variety of design and technical roles on Halo 4, Age of Booty: Tactics, Halo: Master Chief Collection, and Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered.
For more information on my work, please see the Games page.
I am part of a slow-burn startup called Zone In which tells you about events happening near you in real time. I also help operate web stuff for another startup, Hindu Kush Clothing, which makes exotic and stylish garments from a special wool produced in the Chitral valley on the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan. I may or may not also be working on other secret web and videogame projects.