I’m a game and narrative designer who also focuses on technical design (scripting or programming). I have AAA experience ranging from dedicated scriptwriting to game systems design and programming in a range of major engines, including games in the Halo, Star Wars, Mafia, Driver and Call of Duty franchises. I have 9 years’ experience in the games industry.
I work as a Designer for Certain Affinity in Austin, Texas. I also undertake freelance work in a range of creative and technical fields in my spare time.
How I Started
After getting into text games in my early teens when discovering Redwall MUCK, I first learnt to program on a MUCK/MUD text game I operated myself. This hooked me on world creation, scripting, and ultimately game development. I learnt scripting languages based on LISP and Forth, and over the course of several years I wrote 18,000 lines of code across 370 programs in the game, building a player base of 2300 players who used the game’s global chat command over 800,000 times during the lifetime of the game.
In my late teens, I taught myself web development using the LAMP stack, and at 20 I founded a boutique web development company where I showcased my portfolio, eventually developing a Content Management System in PHP for the MP for Cambridge. I taught myself C++ using the excellent C++ How To Program by Deitel & Deitel. I studied English at Cambridge, but spent my spare time coding and preparing to enter the games industry.
Stuff I Worked On
After university I worked for:
- Free Radical Design, as Game Designer for Cutscenes on Star Wars: Battlefront III
- Ubisoft, as Narrative Designer on Driver: San Francisco
- Chillingo, writing marketing copy for their mobile catalog, including games like Angry Birds and Predators
- Zindagi Games and Sony, as cutscenes Scriptwriter for Medieval Moves: Deadmund’s Quest
- Rotor Games, as freelance writer for their iOS debut, Final Run
- AppNormals, providing freelance videogame design consultancy on Super Barista
- Murka Games, as Lead Writer providing freelance scriptwriting for a mobile title
- Zindagi Games, as Lead Writer on an unannounced title and on game pitches
- Certain Affinity, where I have worked full-time since 2012 in a variety of design and technical roles on Halo 4, Age of Booty: Tactics, Halo: Master Chief Collection, and Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered.
For more information on my work, please see the Games page.
I am part of a slow-burn startup called Zone In which tells you about events happening near you in real time. I also help operate web stuff for another startup, Hindu Kush Clothing, which makes exotic and stylish garments from a special wool produced in the Chitral valley on the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan.